We’re extremely happy to announce that the guys at Xbox.com (you might have heard of them ) placed Chickens Can’t Fly on the list of Best of 2012 with Xbox Games on Windows Phone
If you haven’t yet tried the game out, you can download it on the Windows Phone Store, by clicking the button below.
Chicken is sad to announce that there seem to be some issue with the newly released Update to Chickens Can’t Fly.
Avatar Awards sometimes unlock without notification
This relates to the Chicken Helmet, which you can unlock by getting Gold medal in 15 experiments.
However, if you managed to get these Gold medal while playing Chickens Can’t Fly 1.0 (before the update), sometimes the Avatar Award notification will not pop up.
After starting the 1.1 game, if you know you have more than 15 Gold medals, just go and try to customize your Avatar on Xbox LIVE, and the Helmet should already be there, even if you didn’t get a notification.
Aquarium Laboratory remains locked for people that already finished CCF completely
If you managed to finish all experiments before the update (congrats, by the way), the Aquarium Laboratory will remain locked.
This is a bug, we’re sorry about it, and we’re working with Microsoft to release a patch as soon as possible (hopefully 1-2 weeks to get through cert), and allow all of you to play this.
Duplicate Chickens Can’t Fly in your Games Hub
Some people managed to download Chickens Can’t Fly even before it was released on February 15th, through a private link. If you have that version of the game and you download the update, it will install as a separate instance of the game, and you’ll have two Chickens Can’t Fly games in your Games hub. While 2 in 1 would usually be considered a nice treat, in this case, the game progress is lost in the 1.1 version.
We are very sad about this, but it seems there’s no way we can fix this.
‘Hungry, hungry Chicken’ still playing hard-to-get
We made some modification to make this achievement easier, but it seems it has some issues on some phones. We’re working on an update to fix this. Meanwhile, check below for an opportunity at getting this achievement easier, available this week.
Issues connecting to Xbox LIVE for Achievements, PDLC, Multiplayer
Some of you get error messages that tell you that the game can’t connect to Xbox LIVE. Because of the huge additions to the game (Multiplayer and PDLC), some back-end updated on the Xbox LIVE infrastructure have not yet propagated completely to all servers.
This is also the cause for those hidden notifications for Avatar Awards (see above). Please wait 1-2 days until the Xbox LIVE servers wake up and propagate all the changes and everything should be ok. Unfortunately, this is not something that we can speed up.
What are we doing about it?
The team started working on some fixes and we’ll get a small patch in as soon as possible. Since this is a small patch, without any new content, we expect it to go through certification a LOT quicker and be release in 1-2 weeks…. But you never know what delays may appear.
Week of the Corn
This week, the Challenge of the Week will be filled with INSANE amounts of corn, corn magnets and Indestructoids to help you get that pesky ‘Hungry, Hungry Chicken‘ Achievement. I hope this will ease some of the pain you get from the other issues.
I hope to have some good news soon, and meanwhile, I hope you enjoy Chickens Can’t Fly and have a good time with it!
Update:The update is now online! And the price has been dropped to $0.99. Enjoy!
The first update to Chickens Can’t Fly
is pushing slowly through certification has passed all verifications, and will arrive on the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace soon. While you wait for it a bit longer, here’s the list of features and goodies we managed to put in the game:
Dive deep underwater in this new laboratory, filled with new obstacles and power-ups. Over the course of 14 new experiments, you’ll have the chance to meet jellyfish, catch squids, get into the Batysphere or use the ‘Finger of Death’.
Finally, after all the waiting, you can now unlock Avatar Awards for your Xbox LIVE avatar.
- Get the Chicken Helmet by obtaining the Gold medal in 15 experiments. If you already have 15 gold medals, this will unlock when you first start the game.
- Get the Chicken Slippers by winning an Xbox LIVE Challenge against a friend.
Want to spice things up a bit? You can now change how you Chicken looks with the new Chicksie and Diver skins. More skins, such as Vampire, Alien and Knight are available as DLC
Do you want to see how you stack up against you friends? You can now challenge them to a game of Chickens Can’t Fly.
- Play in one of the three challenge types (Survival Challenge, Icecube Challenge and Time Attack Challenge)
- See the ‘ghost’ of the challenger
- Win challenges to rise in the Xbox LIVE Challenges Leaderboards
Unlock a new mini-laboratory, themed around ninjas! Play 10 new experiments and discover new obstacles and power-ups. You will also get the Ninja skin for the Chicken.
Sadly, because of Xbox LIVE restrictions, we were unable to add extra Achievements for this DLC.
- Added rewards for finishing levels with more lives 10% bonus score for each life remaining at the end
- Per popular request, we added a new ringtone with the main theme song
- Re-balanced some difficult levels, and made them easier
- Reduced the requirements for Gold medals in some levels that were almost impossible to get (thanks Paul for the great suggestions on these)
- Fixed performance/framerate issues in some Butchery and Physics levels
- Made the ‘Hungry, hungry Chicken!’ achievement easier to get by humans
- Music doesn’t loop anymore between re-starts of the same level, so even if you die quickly, you’ll get to hear all of it
- Corrected translations (Thanks Mark, Luc, Vicente, Fabio)
- Streamlined the Trial and added a few ‘demo’ experiments from later laboratories
- Squashed a few little bugs
Finally, we’re online. Go download Chickens Can’t Fly right now!
are contained in the Chickens Can’t Fly Theme! Last Friday the official “Chickens Can’t Fly Windows 7 Theme” was made available for everyone to download and try here.
Let our courageous and fearless Chicken adorn your desktop, and listen to its suave clucking when you get an email, a system notification, an error, or when you shut down your PC to finally go and sleep.
5 people compose the core team
that designed and made Chickens Can’t Fly. They are 3 super-skilled developers, 1 uber-fantastic artist and 1 modestly-handsome-and-smart-and-shy game designer We were backed up and helped by countless other people that were really talented (special thanks to our music composer), supportive and excited about the game. We couldn’t have brought the game to it’s current state without the help of everyone around. And lots of thanks go to the amazing people at Microsoft Studios that worked with us!
4 full sized laboratories
are unlocked after completing the tutorial. You probably know their names by now, but I’ll repeat them nonetheless:
- Butchery: avoid cleavers and the butcher, eat sausages and live on the edge!
- Cemetery: witches are chasing you, zombies await you and Hypno Chicken hypnotizes you!
- Military: trenches are not place for a Chicken. So Chicken gets some nukes and levels everything around it!
- Physics: all manner of deadly electrical machinery await Chicken and it’s clone. But Chicken has EMP!
See a sneak peek of all these laboratories below, in the gameplay preview trailer!
3 thousand items of feedback
were received from players of Chickens Can Dream, and we enjoyed reading them all.
We got some really helpful stuff, varying from people asking us to make the game easier, to suggesting new obstacles and power-ups, to simply praising us for the game and making us feel happy on a rainy day!
We simplified the rocket launcher, we added nukes and zombies, made the chicken more dynamic, made the game an Xbox LIVE title, added music, overhauled the input, came up with short, focused levels, visual feedback for effects, and many many others. And comments like “i love u,chicken. Dream on” or “i think chickens especially boy ones should stop dreaming of naked girl chickens. I write this cause I am a girl” really made our hearts burst in rainbows of colors and ponies and unicorns.
There were also some ideas that no matter how hard we tried, our bosses didn’t let us put in the game
- maybe you could have a knife that chops off the chicken’s head, so the chicken goes crazy for a certain time, and you have to get past the checkpoint before the time runs out or you’ll die!
- there should be a naked pic of angelina jo lee if you beat the game
- i would marry this game thats how much i love it. (sorry, the game is too young to get married right now…)
- obstacle: angry poo throwing monkey
- add marijuana, and the effect could be hallucinations
The feedback form is there in Chickens Can’t Fly too, and we’re really excited to hear more feedback.
2 days left
until the game comes out! That’s right, after almost 1 year of waiting, Chickens Can’t Fly will be available on February 15, 2012!
1 game we hope you’ll enjoy
We’ll be watching the internetz on Wednesday to see if you, the players, like the game!